June 27, 2009

I happen to like this town

I went for a walk today...it was lovely.

I laughed at the girls in Ray Bans waiting in line for blocks and blocks just to get into some sample sale; I smiled at the old Latino men scraping ice to make snow cones on street corners. I window-shopped; I had major puppy envy; I picked out at least 10 places where my imaginary boyfriend and I will be going to brunch next weekend. I found a swimming pool, too, an unexpected oasis in the midst of the Lower East Side. And I giggled at the little boys who had tied their towels around their shoulders like superheroes as they ran down the sidewalk in their flip flops and floaties, the cheerful defenders of a beautifully hazy afternoon in the city.

I love summer. I always have. But today I realized that, as with basically all things in life, it's better in New York.