November 10, 2009

I Should Be Sleeping...

It's hard to fall asleep when I have such an awful knot in my stomach. I get emotional during commercials for baby shampoo; witnessing my friends and family deal with grief makes me ache beyond words. I've said Kaddish too often lately. I've whispered "May their memory be for a blessing" three times in five days. I lit candles tonight in memory of the victims of the Holocaust. I have, officially, reached my quota of depressing things.

In Judaism, death isn't a time for dwelling on the past. Kaddish is about the glory of G-d, not the deceased; we light candles as a reminder to the living, not for the dead. So, enough gloom. I'm living life. I have a healthy, happy family (okay, actually, Mommy has a head cold - feel better! xoxo). I have friends that I can count on. I have classes that challenge me and teachers that encourage me and a city full of opportunities outside of my front door. I got life - and I got a lotta nerve, baby (Hair reference, anyone?).

L'chaim.