October 6, 2010

High hopes

When you are down,
lift your head off the ground -
there's a lot to be learned,
so look around!

I've been a Phillies fan since I was a little girl. "Fan" actually doesn't seem like a strong enough word to describe my love for my team...

When I was four, I announced to my mother that I was married. Naturally, she was curious about who her "son-in-law" might be. My dad had the Phillies game on, and I pointed at the TV with glee: "That's him!" To my mother's horror, the TV camera had zoomed in on the husky bearded catcher, spitting tobacco as he squatted behind home plate. (I swear, my taste in men has improved since then. I'm more of a Chase Utley girl now.) Several months later, while in the bath, I told my mother that we'd divorced. "He was a smoker," I informed her sadly, shaking my little four-year-old head so seriously that the scene would've been believable if I hadn't been surrounded by rubber duckies.

I guess you could say I've had a penchant for storytelling since I was young, too. Now, of course, my stories are much more fact-based. I had a long week of grad school, full of tough editing choices, emotionally draining group projects and intense classes...

But it was worth it. I'm figuring out what I want, what I know, and remembering who I am. It took a little venting to friends, and a couple servings of dessert, but I'm back in the game now.

The Phillies won tonight, too, with "Doc" Halladay pitching the first post-season no-hitter since the 1950s.

We've got high apple-pie-in-the-sky hopes...